Wednesday 23 December 2015

To Wing It or Not to Wing It....that is the question

You are probably wondering what type of planning a trip like this takes. I consider myself to be pretty savvy when it comes to planning any type of trip, whether it be a family RV trip across the country or taking a group of Girl Guides to Europe backpacking for a month. My life has been blessed with many opportunities to travel and learn what is needed and what is not. I remember backpacking with my daughter through Ireland....lugging huge heavy backpacks filled with stuff we never used, leaving a bunch of stuff at our last hostel in Galway so we could fit in all our Irish purchases! With each adventure I become more and more of a "let's just wing it" and less "let's plan every minute" type of traveller. I'm That said, there is a time and place for planning and booking ahead......but not for this trip. We have pre-booked the first seventeen of our ninety-one days, and then the "let's just wing it" will take over.

I have been doing the majority of the research for the trip and Rick has been researching what we need to bring.

Where do we find all the info that we might need for such an epic trip....one that is not organized by a tour company, to a place we have never been? The best source has been chatting with people who have been there, following travel blogs, and Facebook groups. I have found the best people to talk to are the bloggers who make this type of travel their way of life. They are the ones with all the great tips....like how to cross the border into Cambodia with a motorcycle you bought in Thailand. But I would have to say, some of the best advice has been what to pack. Since I don't want a repeat of the headline, "Two Canadian women traveling through Ireland are crushed by their backpacks", we will be traveling with the minimum of stuff!

Rick researched what backpackers or adventure travellers use to carry all their stuff in and came up with the Osprey Sojourn.....a backpack with wheels so that it can also be pulled. The ratings by backpackers on it's ability to withstand three months of travel through Southeast Asia is high. So Rick being the "King of eBay" found us a slightly used one, that has returned from a trip to Southeast Asia, and a new one for me. These two pack will hold all we need for three months....I am excited to live as a minimalist where our motto will be, "don't buy it if you can't carry it!"

Next: Booking some out-of-the box experiences

Until then....

Check out one of my favourite bloggers Nomadic Matt
http://www.nomadicmatt.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment